The YMCA firmly denounces racial discrimination and all forms of racial injustice. As an organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we are continuing to expand our focus on anti-racism and addressing systemic discrimination. Current initiatives include creating anti-racist learning and dialogue opportunities for staff and volunteers, collaborating with community partners, and striving to ensure we reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
This page provides a summary of YMCA Canada's Statements related to anti-racism, as well as resources for learning more and taking action. By striving towards racial justice, together we can contribute to the #CanadaWeWant: a place where our differences are valued and encouraged.
For information about the YMCA’s journey to reconciliation, including statements and initiatives, visit our Truth and Reconciliation page.
The following programs take an equity-based and anti-racist approach to supporting racialized participants by proving culturally-relevant services:
A YMCA Canada Black History Month 365 page has been created to keep YMCA staff, volunteers, and community members updated on upcoming events, programs, and key resources that celebrate the accomplishments and rich heritage of Black Canadians, strive to eliminate systemic barriers faced by the Black community, and challenge anti-Black racism in all its manifestations.
- Call it Out: Racism, Discrimination, and Human Rights – OHRC Free Webinar
- Advancing our Anti-Racism Journey – YMCA USA
- COVID-19 Racial Equity & Social Justice Racism – YMCA USA
- Opportunities for White People in the Fight for Racial Justice (Moving from Actor > Ally > Accomplice)
- Resources on Unpacking Whiteness and White Privilege – National Museum of African American History and Culture