Skip to main content
Quick Facts about the YMCA in Canada
- Everything we do has a single purpose: to foster a sense of belonging for all to improve the health and well-being of Canadians in spirit, mind, and body.
- The YMCA in Canada is a Federation of 39 autonomous, community-based charitable organizations.
- In 2019, YMCAs in Canada served over 2 million people annually, including 1.35 million children, teens, and young adults, at 1,700 service locations.
- The YMCA is Canada’s largest child care provider and in 2019, more than 90,000 children were nurtured in our quality child care programs every year.
- In 2019, 284,259 people were able to access the YMCA in their community as a result of the $42.7 million we provided in financial assistance.
- 20% of children attending YMCA health & fitness programs are receiving financial assistance, ensuring that they can develop an active and healthy lifestyle that will benefit them throughout their entire lives.
- We appreciate the 21,788 people who volunteered at the Y in 2019, contributing 1.1 million hours, greatly enhancing the programs and services available to their fellow community members.
- The YMCA is the first stop for many new immigrants and refugees settling in our country. YMCAs help newcomers establish roots in their new community and connect with a wide range of community services, all aimed at helping them access the resources they need to start a new life here
- Around the world, the YMCA serves over 60 million people, with 12,000 locations across more than 120 countries. 24 Canadian YMCAs are engaged with 16 YMCAs internationally across 14 countries located in Africa, Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean.